Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Top Ten Toughest Games I've Played



After a bit of time I decided to write another entry. This top ten is based off the top ten toughest games I've played. Ground rules I set for myself were one per franchise and the game has to be linear/have a story, so no sports (Madden) or fighting games (Mortal Kombat). I'm sure the first few entries will be a bit of a laugher for some of you, but try arguing at least the top two ones with me if you dare! :P



#10---Super Mario Bros.


Like I said before, I'm sure some people will laugh at this entry, but to this day this remains the hardest Mario game I've ever played. I have been able to beat every other Mario game I've played thoroughly without too many problems. (Still have not yet played Sunshine) This one gets hard for me once I get to level 8. I managed to get to the castle very few times and just could not survive through Bowser's last castle. I did eventually beat it, but it was the Deluxe version on the Game Boy Color. Now that I have the new All-Stars version on the Wii, I'm going to sit down and try it in more detail once again.


#9---The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time


Ok, I absolutely love this game to death and I'm sure more people are laughing that I put this on the list. My brother gets through this game so easily I swear he can beat it with his eyes closed. However, I've yet to beat it. I made it to the Water Temple on the 64 before I left for my LDS mission and never touched the copy after I got home. I'm now playing it again on the Anniversary Edition I picked up at a Game Crazy some years ago and I'm still in a stupor remembering everything I need to do. This may not be "hard", more or less sometimes tedious with plenty to do!!!


#8---Adventures in the Magic Kingdom


I remember playing this game on the original NES. I've grown to be such a Disney nut I turned it on my emulator and tried it again. The funnest part of the whole game is the easiest key to get, chasing Pluto around and answering Disney trivia. The other keys, however, are difficult and tedious to get. In pirates you have to rescue the kidnapped damsels while also setting a signal fire. Doesn't help you don't have any way of fighting back against the pirates. The Haunted Mansion allows you a way of fighting back against the ghosts, but it's still hard and the main ghost comes through the mansion at random and it's an instant kill. Space Mountain requires you to have a hairline response system, turning within a few seconds and also shooting meteors. I only managed to beat the game by using cheats that gave me infinite lives and unlimited energy.......


#7---Metroid


Ok, have another laugh. One of the reasons this isn't higher on the list is that I did manage to beat this game on the original NES without the assistance of any cheats. But re-visiting the game all these years later really points out how tough of a game it is. This game is so expansive. The toughness doesn't keep it from being a fun and addictive game. I still enjoy playing this game even today.

#6---Mega Man 4

Ok, with the "one per franchise" rule, it came down to choosing between Mega Man 3 and Mega Man 4. Both were merciless because they had extra levels that make the game longer and harder than they probably could have been. Those Doc Robot levels in 3 are an extra challenge and still give me fits. But I give 4 the nod because not only do you have to go through a castle and "defeat" Dr. Cossack, but then you have to go through Dr. Wily's castle and beat him. The kicker for 4 is that they messed up the Rush Jet. In 3 when it's introduced you can jump on him and control him to get a good shot in. When they re-did it for 4 they made it so Rush started going in a straight line once you jumped on and you couldn't stop him. That made fighting Wily so much more frustrating for me, having the original Rush Jet would have been way easier.

#5---Monster Party
This one brings back memories from my childhood. We had this game and my brothers and I would constantly play it and watch each other as we tried to beat it. Like Metroid, we did manage to beat this game without any cheats at one point. This also has to be on the "weirdest game plots ever created list" (Maybe I'll do that one later) You're a kid coming home from a baseball practice when a monster comes and says your bat is the key to defeating "evil" monsters that have taken over his planet. He says that you and him have the ability to fuse each other. This makes the game easier, as he can fly and shoot a laser shot. This is way better than when you play as the kid, who only as a bat that has a very short attack span. The game makes the monster's claim become a reality as the final boss cannot be hurt by the monster's attacks, you can only hurt him by hitting his nose with your bat or by batting his eyeball shots back at his nose..... Go figure....


#4---Final Fight

I didn't really play this one in it's heyday in the arcades and on the SNES very much. But when it came out on the Virtual Console I thought it would be worth a download to play a good "beat em up" game. But now I'm stuck. I'm at the end of the second level where you fight some crazed, samurai-WWE wrestler guy. He has two katana swords which do massive damage. You can hit him to knock them out of his hands, but as soon as you hit them away, he'll shoulder charge you which also takes a lot of life out of you. Losing to him sends you back to the beginning of the level so you get to start the whole thing again.....sigh........

#3---Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles


Yet another one that I look back and wonder how my brothers and I made it so far without cheats when we were younger. Anyone who's played the game probably is cringing by looking at this picture. The second level sends you into a dam to defuse 8 bombs. They only give you 2 minutes and the whole dam is rigged with electric seaweed, instant death plants, rotating discs and electricity. (How does that work under water?) Not to mention Leonardo and Donatello are your MVP's cause their weapons have a long reach. If (and most likely when) you lose those two it's almost worth just resetting the game cause Raphael and Michaelangelo just don't have the reach for attacking, they more often than not get hit when they're trying to attack. I played this one with an invincibility cheat recently and couldn't get past level 3. Yet my brothers and I made it to the Technodrome once, that amazes me now.

#2---Battletoads
I have a love-hate relationship with this game...... On one hand it's a lot of fun to play. Beating up baddies and finishing them off with over-the-top moves like creating a big hand or big foot. But then there's the level of difficulty. This screenshot should create memories of those who have played this game. I think I've managed to beat this level ONCE and also managed to catch the warp in this level once. I turned on some cheats on my emulator and was invincible on the final level, STILL can't beat it!

This leads us to.......

#1---Ghosts N' Goblins


Oh my, where to start with this one? I can't even cheat properly on this one cause there's not really an invincible code out there. But essentially, take a hit, your armor is knocked off and you're running around in your underwear. Next hit, you're a pile of bones! Next, some enemies, like the zombies, respawn infinitely so you're never getting away from them. Plus the enemies like to dogpile their attacks, so while you're fending off/avoiding one enemy, another is coming from your backside so you'll take a hit nearly every minute or so. I think I've only been able to make it past the first level once. I think this one gets the top spot because I've seen footage of the later levels and THEN the knowledge that you get through the whole game, beat the demon and get the message that it was all "an illusion created by Satan" and you have to go through the WHOLE GAME OVER AGAIN! If I had worked hard to get to that point and got that message I may have done something that I up to this point have not done.....throw the controller at the screen!

Well, that's it for the top ten toughest games I've played! Thanks for checking it out!

1 comment:

  1. You should check out the Angry Video Game Nerd videos on youtube. I think he has a video for every one of these games. One of my favorite criticisms of TMNT is a) how they can't seem to swim in the damn, they're freaking turtles! and b) how if you fall in the water in the sewer in the third level, you die, they're freaking turtles!

    ReplyDelete